I made a trip into town over the weekend for supplies -- I knew I had enough vet wrap for a change or two, but I had forgotten that DH exposed the entire packet of gauze I had planned to use to a goat infection over the summer, leaving me scrambling for some gauze to put in my chlorhex solution for scrubbing. Of course, our local TSC was out of the gauze I wanted (pretty sure we bought the last package they had in stock in like JUNE and they just... never ordered more? Nice). The other farm store in town was also a bust, so I ended up having to make an unplanned Walgreens stop for people gauze, which is annoyingly far more expensive ($10 for 50 pieces of 2x2). On the drive home from that, I placed an Amazon order for more gauze ($10 for 200 pieces of 4x4, bless) and another CASE of vetwrap, since I have no idea how long I'm going to need to keep wrapping this (plus can you ever have too much vet wrap? You cannot). I also grabbed two different kinds of duct tape. I felt about as prepared as I could be!
|This is vaguely reminiscent of the piles and piles of supplies I had to use when Topaz lacerated ALL FOUR LEGS one year, although that was pre-blog. I had a whole station set up every time she had bandage changes lol.|
I built the duct tape lattice square in the house before we went outside (mostly because it was annoyingly cold and I didn't want to be outside longer than necessary), and then enlisted DH to help hold/hand me supplies. I cross-tied Trigger and wrestled the existing wrap off his foot (note to self, buy sharper scissors), then put his foot down on a fresh towel. The old wrap looked good, a little drainage onto the poultice pad they put in there, but nothing unexpected. The whole sole is a touch soggier than I'd like, so I imagine we're going to be looking at a lot of Durasole once his foot comes out of the bandage, but that's a problem for future Leah I guess.
Trigger was a champ for the scrubbing, as I fumbled around with the gauze pads and then poured the crushed up pills into his foot (I cant remember the name, met-something?). I slapped the piece of poultice pad on and then positioned the duct tape. DH wanted to help finish the wrap, so I let him add all the exterior around the toe duct tape, lol.
|So bored with this.|
|I topped the whole thing off with a roll of vet wrap -- the vets used elasticon but of course I struck out finding any locally.|
|In conjunction with the velcro boot I did find, I think it should hold up fine. We will see at the next change, and if I need to source some elasticon, I will :)|
|"Put me back in my stall and bring me alfalfa, I am done with your shenanigans for the day, peon"|
- Trigger, probably.
I'm glad he is being a relatively cooperative patient, as long as he gets his twice daily alf and time scrounging for leftovers in Jack's stall (while I clean his). Aside from a little calling on the first few days, he's been relatively quiet and chill about things, as long as I leave ESPN talk radio on for him. The one day I didn't, he TRASHED his stall. Duly noted Trigs, you want to hear the radio.